1/72 WWWII?


For a while now I have been considering how to incorporate some Weird World War II elements in to my growing 1/72 WWII collection.  I thought about the Dust Studios walkers and some of the Bones CAV stuff that will be on the market soon.  I came to realize that what I really wanted were some BIG walkers towering over the troops below and to achieve this I was going to have to do some “scale jumping”.  I had an opportunity to pick up a few of the 28mm Scotia Grendel Biped walkers for a clearance price I couldn’t pass up.  They appeared to be generic enough in style that they could be brought in and modified with some smaller details.



I added some DIY styrene cannon barrels and a commander from a Plastic Soldier Company kit.


These kits are resin metal hybrids and the resin parts (not my favorite material) do require a bit of time and patience to clean up.  I gave it a quick paint up involving primer, some washes and drybrushing:





Here it is scaled up with a couple of Dust Studios German walkers:


While building this model I managed to pique the interest of my teenaged daughter and we before we knew it we were able to get a game in using some home-brew rules that utilized the charts from Akula’s Bad Ar:se skirmish rules and here are a few shots:



My German squad flanking:


Her Russian answer:


The result:





Although she started out with some weak dice rolls she ended up prevailing in the end and kept the invading regime at bay.  All in all a fun time to be had.

Thanks for dropping by!

Night Owl


WWII Russian Greatcoats

I realized tonight that I haven’t posted anything in a while and thought well instead of one giant post I’ll try to add something each day over the weekend and get back up to speed.  It’s not that I haven’t been working on stuff, although I do plead guilty to not stopping and taking pics as much as I would liked to have, it’s just that I’ve been bouncing around a lot with different projects.  So tonight I’ll post the latest addition to the 1/72 WWII topic.

Introducing the Russians:


These are the Pegasus WWII Russian Greatcoats released in 2013.  The plastic they use is interesting because even after washing with soap & water it still looks very glossy and feels greasy and I always felt like I needed to wipe my hands on something but there is never any residue on my fingers.  It took a little getting used to while working with it.



They are currently based with sand and I need to finish this up with a grey dry brush to match the rubble I used on the Linka building Stalingrad ruins.

Also by Pegasus are the T34/76 quick build models:




And lastly, the Plastic Soldier Company Russian 45mm anti tank guns




Well, there’s a good start to the Stalingrad Russian defending army.  Eventually I would to add some T-70’s, T-26’s and BA-6 armored cars.  Eh, all in good time!


Night Owl


Combining Linka and Hirst Arts molds for a 20mm WWII Farm

Life has gotten pretty busy now that the kids are out of school for the summer, but somehow I have managed to get a few things done this week.


Here are a few more ruins using the Linka molds.  These are smaller pieces using just corners:


A larger piece:



And, finally a few pieces that compose a farm setting.  These are not permanently attached to a base as I like to keep things modular so they will work together or separately.



I used the Hirst Arts wood shingle casts from mold #240 for my roof and although they are designed for 28mm I think they work just fine for 20mm.  I also used the double sided, single width fieldstone pieces from mold #75 to make my garden walls.


And with some decorative goodies to show how I plan on using the farm:



I’ve found that if you choose carefully there are some nice combinations one can come up with using both the Hirst Arts and Linka mold systems.


Night Owl

A scenic detour through 20mm WWII

As I was getting my next army lined up for paint and terrain I found myself walking into the hobby room and turning around to walk back out.  It isn’t that I’m not excited about the next army, if fact I’m quite looking forward to it, but I found myself wanting to take a break from the 28mm fantasy stuff before I got burned out on it.  I’ve learned to sense when the fire is starting to fizzle and it was time to take a detour for a bit.

I thought a nice diversion would be to revisit the Linka moulds and spend a little more time with them.  In all honesty, the more I work with them the more I  like them.  The product can be found at http://www.linkaworld.com.

I cast up about 100 or so panels and went to work making bombed out buildings and ruins.


I started by piecing together some corners and gluing them to a base of cork sheeting.  Then I added some Woodland Scenics rock molds to the inner areas along with some splintered craft sticks, kitty litter and sand that got soaked with a 50/50 water/white glue mix.



I let this dry for a few hours, carefully shook off the loose material and primed them. I then dry brushed some earthy colors before dirtying them up with darker “burned up” colors.




I don’t want to add posters since they lock it into a time and place so I’ll keep everything generic enough to be used in several genres: WWII East and West as well as post apocalyptic.  I’m planning on keeping them on modular bases that can be rearranged differently on the tabletop for each game.  These six buildings should suffice in covering a 2′ X 2′ piece of modular pink foam.

This is the first batch of finished buildings:


The same buildings from the reverse side:


For size reference with some 20mm miniatures:



As you can see I wanted to add enough rubble to really portray a bombed out city but still leave enough area open for the placement and movement of miniatures, artillery and tanks.

I think I’ll build enough to cover another panel and then create something a little larger like a warehouse yard or a supply depot.

Thanks for dropping by,

Night Owl